Community members of the Internet of Things (IoT) blockchain network Helium voted for a full transition to Solana to improve network scalability.
The HIP 70 proposal proposed by the Helium Foundation has been in the works for several months. In August, the organization detailed the reason behind this being to improve the network’s speed, stability, and ability to serve more users.
Voting for this change began on September 12. A majority of 81.41% voted in favor, while the rest, 18.59% opposed it. The proposal states:
“The changes proposed in HIP 70 do not change the fundamentals of helium or HNT networks, but they do provide a number of benefits to helium networks including having more HNT available for subDAO reward pools, more consistent mining, more reliable data transmission, etc. more utilities for HNT and subDAO tokens and more ecosystem support. ”
Upon completion of the conversion process, a new version of the Helium Wallet App will be announced.
The history of the Helium Layer 1 blockchain will remain public and users can access the new app by updating their existing wallet app.
HNT token holders will also be able to use other wallets in the Solana ecosystem, including Phantom or Solflare.
Helium is a Google-backed startup founded in 2019. Basically, this is a distributed network that provides users with cryptocurrency tokens as a reward for sharing their home internet service with a community.
So far, this company has attracted more than 952k active node operators.